Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Two Years Ago Today, I Met My Daughter


Two short years ago, I met my daughter in a Civil Affairs office in Fuzhou, China.

My daughter.

On this day, I celebrate her and her loving, generous, sweet, sweet spirit. There are so many reasons to love this girl -- here are just a few.
  • She sings ALL the time -- everything from Jesus Loves Me to The Killers' Indie Rock & Roll (seriously, word-for-word)

  • When I pick her up from school and ask about her day, I get a detailed account - every friend she played with, every snack consumed, every song sung and every art project completed

  • I get LOTS of artwork - a new work each and every day. And she always puts her name, my name, and Mom on it, lest I get confused for whom she created her masterpiece

  • She was relentless in learning how to snap her fingers and now snaps better than any of her brothers

  • She still tells me daily that she missed me when she was in China

  • She completed a Mother's Day questionnaire at school and told her teacher and all her classmates that I'm 22:)!

  • She asks me every night to carry her like a baby when it's time for bed

  • She loves to have her toenails painted, preferably with a pink flower on her big toe

  • She often completes my sentences for me

  • She's mine
Happy Gotcha Day, Oakley!!


I love you to the moon and back my sweet girl.

25 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww... Happy Two Years with your beautiful girl! I was actually following your blog back then and glad we reconnected! Oakley has blossomed into a beautiful young lady that so obviously loves her mommy!

Will you be at the AA picnic this weekend? I will look for you!

fleur de lis cottage said...

What a sweet, sweet post, and what a special mommy/daughter bond you have. Ava sings nonstop too and I just love it.

Happy Gotcha Day!

PS Love he pic of you and Oakley!

Marla said...

Now here I sit at work all teared up. The picture of the two of you is beautiful! I love you both!

Marla

Mission To Macie said...

How sweet!

Happy 2 Years!
It's flying by isn't it?
We will have our 2 years in Sept. I can't imagine our life without Macie in it!

I love that picture of the 2 of you...very pretty! I love your hair!

Congrats!

Love,
Jill and Macie

ang :o) said...

She is a doll. Congratulations! I can hardly believe how much she's changed, even since your last post. She is a beauty!

The Ferrill's said...

Oh Jana! It's so hard to believe it's been TWO years. I remember so vividly waiting on you to travel to meet her, and then following your journey in China. Looking at her sweet referral pic, it's just hard to believe that is the same child. WOW! She just radiates joy through and through! BOTH of you do!

Whitty's Four said...

She is so sweet!!
Caeleigh loves to sing too. They are two happy girls! We are two "Lucky Families".
Karen

When you were in China did the Chinese say,"Lucky Baby"?

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, Jana! Oakley is indeed a joy, not only to your family, but to everyone who knows her.

Lisa P.

Cynthia said...

How precious! She is such a sweet girl! Happy Gotcha Day, Oakley!

Sarah said...

There is NO doubt that God meant her to be with you! I love the tribute to your special girl!

Blessings,
Sarah

Lindy said...

Oakley has just blossomed since she's joined your loving family. Will she have a chance to see Caeleigh again this summer?

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Happy Two Years!!! What a sweet post for your sweet girl:)

Just wanted to pop by and tell you I am coming to Louisville this week. I know you were bummed that you missed out last time. I am hoping that I get to see the girls again and wanted to see if you wanted to join us!! You can email me......go to my profile and you can find my address there!!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Lisa

All 4 My Gals said...

Just going back to the beginning of your blog and sitting with my heart full and my spirit soaring. I love you all honey.. .so very much! I'm so blessed that Oakley is y(ours)!

Mom 2 six said...

Hope all is well !

3 Peanuts said...

Oh I LOVE this photo of the two of you...you both look so filled with joy! I am surprised it has only been two years. i thought she had been home longer than Kate.

Happy anniversary. And thank you for your kind comment:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I want not agree on it. I over nice post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to review the whole story.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Holly Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.