Monday, January 28, 2008

Turning Eight is Great!

My baby boy, Sullivan, turned EIGHT last week. That sounds so much older to me than seven, but it's STILL not old enough to be dating!

I picked him up from school this afternoon and following is our conversation:

"Hey, babe. How was your day?" I inquired.

"Good. Some girl in second grade asked me out today," he replied.

"She WHAT?!?!" I cried. And yes, I'm sure my voice did take on that maternal shrill tone.

"She asked me out," he replied nonchalantly.

"What did you say to her?" I asked. Please, God, please don't let him already be interested in girls, I pleaded silently.

"Well, I never talked to her because she sent one of her sidekicks to do her dirty work. Her sidekicks are always chasing me and Wyn around on the playground and we have to hide from them at lunch," he answered. And yes, he really used the word sidekick to describe this smitten little girl's faithful friend.

"But," he continued, "I told her no."

"And that was it?" I asked.

"Yes, Mom, I'm too young to date. I'm only eight," he answered.

Amen, baby boy, amen.

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SULLIVAN!!!! (Or SUVVILAN as Rachel says...)

I cannot believe you are already 8! So glad that you are finally feeling better!

Love seeing your handsome face and sweet smile on the blog... we all miss you!

The Ferrill's said...

What a handsome boy! I'm cracking up that he calls them sidekicks! ;)
I hope all my children will say "Yes, Mom, I'm too young to date. I'm only
(insert any teen year!)" :)

missy said...

Oh, that is too cute! He is a DOLL. I can see why the girls would be chasing him...get ready mom, as I think this will not be the last time.

What a handsome young man! Happy Birthday, Sullivan : )

Leslie said...

Well Jana, I would had thought you would of had this conversation already with your two older boys. That's what happens when you have such handsome boys. Just wait...it's only the beginning for you.

I just love the UofK birthday cake.

Cynthia said...

How adorable.....he is a wanted man! What a gorgeous smile!!

All 4 My Gals said...

Dag I almost asked him out when I saw him Sat at soccer. ;) I did see Em staring at him though. Who can blame these girls? He's just too dang cute!

Anonymous said...

Sullivan is a doll. He'll have lots
of girls after him...and who can
blame them. You think he'll go to
UK?GO BIG BLUE>>>>>>>>>Liz

Anonymous said...

Sullivan is PRICELESS! You are going to have a full head of gray hair by the time your 3 boys are grown! And then comes Oakley.... But what a great ride it will all be!

Thanks for letting us share in the trip -- Lisa P.

Stefanie said...

8 and girls are asking him to 'date'? OH MY!! Well, thank goodness he's got a good head on his shoulders (must be that awesome mama he's got ;)) and said 'NO!'
I imagine you breathed a huge sigh of relief :) He is SO handsome, I have a feeling there are going to be many more sidekicks to tell 'no' in his future!!

Jake and Taryn said...

Happy Birthday Sullivan!! Glad to see that Sullivan is a UK fan!! We are big UK fans too! :)

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know you'll be a grandma!