Saturday, June 23, 2007

I know. I know.

We visited The International Adoption Clinic this week for Oakley's first appointment with her pediatrician. She was a real trooper, despite the fact that we were there three hours and they had to draw a lot of blood. They intended to draw eight vials, but only got four before they blew veins in both of her little arms. She cried, but not too hard, and she never fought their efforts. She just buried her head in my chest and kept crying "All done? All done?"

After the fact, she was all smiles, although she would occasionally point to her arms, rattle off something in Chinese or gibberish and I would sympathize with an "I know, baby, I know." Now she points to her arms anytime she wants some attention, and sadly says, "I know. I know." Pitiful, but adorable.

Dr. Shawn Taylor was impressed (her words, not mine) with Oakley's communication skills and with all that she has learned in such a short period of time. She conducted a thorough exam and spent a lot of time learning all about Oakley. She's 37" tall and weighs 30.5 pounds. On the American charts, that places her in the 50th percentile in weight and in the 75th percentile in height. If she doesn't hit puberty early (which is apparently common in institutionalized children due to the stress they've endured), she could be 5'8" or 5'9". She really WILL be taller than anyone in our family. How awesome that she's so healthy, developmentally on target ... and cute, to boot!

5 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

She is so beautiful in white...well, she's adorable in whatever color! What a smart girl! Praise the Lord for your progress, Oakley! He has such a special plan for you!

Anonymous said...

It was such a treat to meet her in person when I dropped off the Stampin Up stuff. Jana, you have been under-stating her charm and her intelligence. What a delight she is! What fun it is going to be to watch her grow up!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Bless her heart, she's such a trooper about everything! I'm so glad you posted an update on the doctor's visit, I've been wondering how it went. I suppose I could pick up the phone and call, huh? Keep the weekly updates coming, I'm sure I'm not the only one who still checks regularly!
Love you!
Marla

Leslie said...

Jana,

She is so beautiful. Thanks for the pictures and updates. I know it can be hard after you get home.

All 4 My Gals said...

She is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gorgeous! I just love your girl, our girl even more now that I got to see her in action. Thanks for letting us come and play. I can't wait for more time with Oakley!