Sunday, April 27, 2008

Celebrating First Communion

Yesterday was a very special day. After months of preparation, classes, and First Reconciliation, Sullivan received First Communion at a special Mass at our church at 4 p.m.

The First Communion Class actively participated in the Mass, and the children were responsible for the welcome, the First and Second Readings, and the Responsorial Psalm. Sullivan was responsible for the Presentation of Gifts, and he dutifully carried the wine -- the blood of Christ.






















The class also sang "God's Circle of Love," and dedicated it to their parents. I never fail to get emotional when I hear the beautiful voices of children singing God's praise. After the song, each child was called to the front of the church and the parents joined them, carrying the banner we made last week at retreat. Sullivan presented me with a rose and we took our place along the outer aisle to hang his banner.

It was a very sweet Mass and I am so proud of Sullivan and his commitment to grow in his faith.

I pray that as he makes his journey in this world he will remember that his relationship with God is most important.

In celebration, after the Mass we joined family for dinner. Sullivan got to choose the location and despite his brother's plea for an alternate location, we dined at the infamous "Golden Corral," an
all-you-can-eat buffet complete with a dessert bar and ice cream station.

Golden Corrall is a long-time favorite of Sullivan's and he used to pronounce it Golden Carafe. Thanks to Sullivan, our family still calls it this today, just as Cracker Barrell is known as Crackel Berry, Chick-Fil-A will forever be Chick-A-Lay, and Target is Kro-get (a cross between Kroger and Target). These are just a few of my favorite Sullivan-isms.

He is a child of God.

14 comments:

ang :o) said...

That is very sweet! I love all the photos and the Sullivan-isms.

Jennifer said...

I can't believe how much Sullivan has grown. He is getting so mature and handsome. This was such a special day - I know you are so proud of him!

WE ALL ARE! Way to go Sullivan...you are a blessing to everyone that knows you!

Anonymous said...

Mom and I call Golden Corral THE ELITE (tongue-in-cheek for "where the elite meet to eat").

May God's many blessings follow Sullivan throughout his life! He is such a very special fellow.

Lisa P.

All 4 My Gals said...

Precious! I can't believe it. Weren't he and T just born yesterday?

Hey you...let me know when they have important stuff at church, I would love to join you!

Love you! Nicole

Mission To Macie said...

What an awesome day! You have the most beautiful children! He is really a cutie. I know you are so proud.


Jill :)

Anonymous said...

THIS IS TO SULLIVAN!

I am so sorry that I missed your big day. I just plain forgot about it. The very least I could have done, would have been to call you. I hope you will forgive me. I am so very proud of you. The pictures one the blog are great. I love you so very much.
MAMAW

Jake and Taryn said...

Congrtulations on your First Communion Sullivan!! I love all of your pictures! We have had two First Communions in our family this year! It has been busy! But, so very sweet and such an important milestone! :)

The Ferrill's said...

Jana how precious this post is! What a special special day for your family and especially Sullivan. And his little nicknames for places are crackin' me up!
He is a beautiful little boy, I picked him out right away in the group picture! That smile is captivating! God bless him as he grows in godliness!

Anonymous said...

I'm always so happy to read posts like this. It's so comforting to know the next generation loves God, too!

Somewhere In The Sun said...

Ahh Jana this is so sweet. I got a little teary eyed reading it. I know you are so proud. And he's so cute!!

~Lynn

Anonymous said...

Sullivan is a doll.....
you'll be beating the girls off..
MAMA.....Liz

Mom 2 six said...

Congrats !
The pictures are beautiful. What a wonderful family you have.

Sarah said...

What a beautiful day for Sullivan and for your family. God's blessings to you all!
Sarah

sherry said...

Sullivan,
What a wonderful day! Adam and I prayed for you tonight; that this would be the beginning of the most special relationship, the one you have with Jesus.
Adam has such a soft spot for you. I am amazed at how much he mentions you. He says he remembers the day he came home from school and I told him you were born. He talks about how you cried all the way home from Florida one year for bubble gum and he will talk the way you did when you were a "baby".
You are so loved and so special.
Many Blessings!
Sherry Richardson and family